Safety | Our First Behavioral Value
We want our team to return home to their families at the end of the day the same way they left for the job site at the beginning of the day. Safety isn’t just about numbers, it’s about people. We incorporate safety into our culture and daily practices to ensure that safety is the number one priority to our team.
Our Environmental, Health and Safety team has implemented a behavioral-based program that focuses on coaching and training with an emphasis on leading indicators. By using these leading indicators we can educate and train our team on safe work practices and help to avoid workplace incidents and accidents.
Scheduled safety inspections, training sessions and on-site safety “Toolbox Talks” every day on every job site help us to maintain the safest work environment possible.
· All team members share the responsibilities for the continuous improvement of our safety culture
· Each VEC employee has been given the authority to stop work if they recognize a safety hazards
· We provide safety training to all team members
· We conduct hazard analysis and prepare pre-tasks plans for every job based on the environment and scope of work
· Site-specific safety plans are created for each project
· Members of the EHS team visits job sites frequently to conduct audits
· Current EMR - .69
· Our safety ratings are better than industry average
Training and Certifications
· Red Cross Certified First Aid/CPR/AED
· OSHA 10/30 Hour
· SafeLand Training
· Qualified Personnel Training
· Competent Personnel Training
· Defensive Driving
One of the ongoing safety measures at VEC are our Toolbox Talks, weekly safety meetings on our job sites. It’s a chance for our foremen and superintendents to re-enforce the safety message to our team.